Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ups and Downs

Sorry for the lack of blogging. Being busy is one of the downs of being a missionary (guess it isn't just a missionary kind of thing) and so is the cold and rainy day that today is. I have been reflecting on my year so far and realized it has had the biggest ups and downs I have had since I arrived almost 3 years ago.
Biggest UP -- This year I had the trip of a lifetime in getting to go to KB's wedding in Botswana, see Vic Falls (Amazing!!!) and got a chance to see the ministry in Zimbabwe. Something I heard about but never had gotten a glimpse of.
Biggest DOWN -- My best Swazi friend, Gugu Dlamini "Goo-goo Zlah-mee-knee" got sick and passed away within a week. She was the best example of showing God's love to all. She made me laugh when I was stressed and gave some of the best hugs. I still miss her deeply.
Up -- Know some great kids that are healthier and doing well in school. Will post a delayed post tomorrow, I promise, on one of these young persons who was able pass a tough exam to get into a really good high school (another one did not pass) and now I am trying to raise funds to send him.
Down -- Might have to say goodbye to one of my CarePoints. Because of political conflict in the area, in trying to protect the rights of the children we have been falsely accused into trying to "tell" the community into how to use their land. We could win the battle but if there is animosity it would not benefit the children in the long run. It is so hard to even think of saying goodbye to kids I love and care for. I pray God is raising up strong leaders within the community to carry on and that the government agencies connected to the CarePoint will also come to their aid if we have to remove Children's Cup from the situation.




Up -- I was able to go away to Xai Xai "Shy Shy" in Mozambique and stay with the new missionaries Mel and Diane, there for a week and soak up the ocean, which is my best place for renewal and restoration. My co-missionary friend Karen Brennan joined me and it was such an awesome blessing that God worked out!!! The transport, the place to stay, the company and even the funds thanks to a lovely person from a recent team. Thank you Patty.
Down -- Need to find a smaller place. Probably not a real down, just a change. But finding a new, safe place to live when you are soooo busy is a down. Pray for provision and wisdom and time to look.








Up -- Our kids (meaning the children at all the CarePoints) are healthier. We have been using the vitamin fortified "Feed My Starving Children" food at the CarePoints and are finding that overall our kids are not as sick this winter as in previous years!!! Schools are feeding more regularly also (pray it is not just temporary) so our kids aren't going as hungry.










Down -- Our kids don't need us as much which is an awesome thing!! But we are losing touch with many because they are not as in much need. We are pouring so much more into them than just food and medical care that it is sad that without the need for food they don't see the need to come. God's love and the desire to learn more has taken hold of some which is an up and we see them coming regularly.







Let me end on a BIG UP!!! Mitch and Char have arrived!!!!! What a blessing!! Only spent a week with them with the team last year but bonded so immediately! And then through the internet and skpye have become such close friends over this past year that it is just wonderful to have them here!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

rodnkar said...

Sorry to hear your year has been a difficult one so far. But good to hear you have still had a few brief breaks. I will keep you in my prayers and the children also. Thank you for your perserverance though. It takes a tough person to deal with the hardships of being a missionary. God will bless you and the childrens lives that you come in contact with.

Blessings,
Karen