Friday, December 2, 2011

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

There is no such thing as a "White Christmas" in Swaziland!
On the contrary, the weather fluctuates between HOT and thunderstorms!! But it is one of the most exciting times in Children's Cup ministries. . . . the Christmas parties!!!!It is not just a chance for kids to get to get treats and jumping castles, it is a learning experience!!!
Every station teaches about Jesus and centers around the theme that GOD IS WITH ME!!!
From dancing after they learn about the wise men following the star, to learning about Jesus' baptism before they water slide, to learning about fishing for men as they fish for treats,
to hear about the feeding of the 5000 before they eat fish
and bread (and rice),
to playing with a GIANT ball after learning about the stone rolling away from the grave, to hearing of Christ's ascension and then jumping on the jumping castle and then finally getting to color their own special button to remind them that "GOD IS WITH ME" always!!!!
The celebration ends with birthday cake and FIREWORKS!!! So many of these kids deal with situations that even adults should not have to be exposed too! Death, abuse, abandonment, severe hunger and life threatening illnesses!!! Hope comes in the form of Jesus!!!
It reawakens the knowledge of what is really important! I still don't know about how my financial situation will look next year. I have had to wrestle recently with "what if it doesn't come in" scenario and have decided that although I don't feel called back to the states, if God allows that to happen, He will still be with me!!! The Bible says not to worry about anything but to present it before God in prayer, always giving thanks!!!! (paraphrase of Philippians 4:6) So that is what I choose today. Celebrate the season with sharing God's love and the truth of His Son!!! I will rejoice in being able to serve Him here or wherever I end up!!! And I am going to have a blast next week getting lots of kids wet on the water slide!!!!!

2 comments:

~kristi said...

still one of my favorite moments of my life, passing out gifts at the end of the big party. I would have loved to see them watch fireworks.

Sandra said...

It is different than at nighttime but it is a lot of fun to see their excitement at the pops and booms!