Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sprouts!

When you are in the mission field, at least for me, it seems that you reflect a lot. Maybe that is just my nature and has nothing to do with being a missionary. Yesterday I was reflecting about being at the beginning of starting up Children's Cup in South Africa. It seems a lot like starting a farm crop. I could be wrong since I'm no farmer, but I picture that at first you see this vast land and have to figure out which area is fertile. Then you have to remove all the grass, weeds, stones and other obstacles that might be there and plow and plant and wait and see if what you did will produce a plentiful harvest. And then you stare at the soil; plain, nothing growing, brown dirt.
Wondering if you did it right.
Wondering if it will grow.
Wondering what if it will ultimately look like.
Wondering if it will be healthy and strong.
Wondering if it will produce a little or an abundance.
Not a perfect analogy but it was where I was at yesterday. We've been working and spending time and getting frustrated along the way but yesterday.... Yesterday it seemed like I was seeing little green sprouts coming out of the ground and I was excited, amazed and filled with expectation of what God has in store. Seeing volunteers that were starting to get the vision. 
Seeing sites where children were coming regularly and sponsorships are beginning to happen.
Seeing the community starting to see the benefit for their children.
Seeing connections with schools seem a little bit more connected and in agreement about the possibilities. There is a lot of work to be done, sponsorships to input which leads to funding, hiring and training of workers, programs to organize and implement and so much more. I can't wait until I can look back and say "WOW! I can't believe all that God has accomplished!" God has a plan for South Africa and I can't even imagine what it will look like this time next year or what about 5 years down the road. I'm just excited to be here as it begins to sprout! 
Excited that He uses me of all people! 
Excited that He is changing lives! 
Excited that whether I can picture it or not or whether I think I can do it or not, He has a plan! 
A plan for the children and communities of South Africa!!!
As I reflect, I have to give thanks!!! Thanks that God had a plan for me 6 years ago when he called me to Africa. Thanks for all who support me financially, prayerfully and with their love, encouragement and friendship! God is amazing!!!! I am blessed!
P.S. Here are some pictures of my day yesterday! 
May you share in the excitement and anticipation of what lies ahead!














2 comments:

Jennifer Griffith said...

This is great, Sandra! I know God is working through you. Saw it first hand. May His favor continue as you walk these steps of obedience and faith.

Susan Rodgers said...

Beautiful blog, Sandra--pics as well as words. We are blessed to have you on our team. Love you!
Susan