Monday, March 24, 2008

It's a Girl!!

God has been growing me a lot lately and so my blogs tend to reflect a more serious tone lately but I realize that there are fun things of living in Swaziland that I should also share; thus this blog about Victoria.
Victoria is our chicken, or should I say Patrick’s chicken. For those unaware, there are two houses on our lot. I now share mine with Natalie and 2 interns from the states Jessica and Hannah who are here for a month. The other is Patrick’s whom he now shares with Jordan and 2 Swazi interns Lelo (Lay-low) and Daniel. One day last month Patrick and his friend Rick who was visiting from the states came home with a live chicken!! Did either of them know anything about chickens? (They did bring home a bag of poultry feed.)
The next time I talked to my mom (who had been on a farm before) she said if we had a box with straw the chicken would make a nest and lay eggs. I told the guys but they never did anything about it. One day I was in the yard and started visiting with the chicken. Before you start calling me Dr. Dolittle or just crazy, I tend to talk to the birds in my tree and the monkeys next door when they come by but I will honestly say that I haven’t understood any of their responses. :)Anyway I decided she needed a name and for some bizarre reason Victoria is the one that popped in my head. It stuck although the guys still tend to call her “the chicken”.Now never having lived on a farm, I started questioning the red crown on the top of her head and wondering if that meant she was a he? I don’t know, I thought only roosters had crowns or whatever they are called on top of their head. Last week I went looking for where Victoria (or Vic) bedded down at night. I found it and low and behold I also found 11 eggs! So this blog is to praise Victoria for all her hard work and for the contribution she has made to our home!!

4 comments:

Heather Stewart said...

I love it! Someone had to give that chicken a name!

I am Heather, a friend of Nat's, and I will be going to Swazi in May with HPC. Can't wait to meet you, and Victoria of course.

Tina Cooley said...

Sandra, you're so crazy. Looks like little Vickie is very productive. My sister raised her own chickens (23 of them?) and I have to say vickie sure out did herself and made quite an impression for being her first batch. She is some Super Chick! How was the scrambled eggs?

ashpuck said...

Good investigative work Sandra. It would have been a shame to let all those eggs go to waste. Enjoy your breakfast!

Jean Ohlerking said...

Now you know for sure it's Victoria, not Victor. :-)