Friday, March 28, 2008

Recipes

Ok, those of you know me well, know that I have been domestically challenged in my past. I say "been" because God is showing me I can grow in all areas. Back home I had a few simple recipes I loved to make. For example:

Frozen Yougurt Pie
Buy a graham cracker crust, a cool whip small tub and a small yougart from the store.
Mix with spoon the cool whip & yougart.
Pour into premade graham cracker crust and freeze. Delicious!!!

Swaziland variation:

Buy Tennis biscuits (graham cracker like cookie), butter, whipping cream, sugar, yougart.
Put tennis biscuits in blender and pulverize or take a hammer to the package but make sure it's a clean hammer and a place to catch the pieces that come out of the package.
Mix crumbs and butter (about 1/4 cup melted) and press with fork into sides of pie plate or whatever container you can find to use.
Put whipping cream (that has been refrigerated--milk come in cartons that can sit on the shelf until opened--not so with whipping cream which I found out by it going bad on my shelf!) and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl and use electric beaters for 3 to 4 minutes until you have whipped cream (another new experience for me!).
Mix whipped cream with yougart (alot thinner and more liquidy here).
Cool part is it's easy to add banana or fresh mango to mixture in Swaziland.
Pour into crust a freeze.
It takes longer but it is still great.

Tues, I wanted to make a quiche for bible study, Wed. morning. Back in the states it would have gone like this;

Buy Pilsbury crust & eggs, cheese, meat & spinach.
Roll out crust in pie plate.
Scramble eggs and other ingredients with a little milk, salt & pepper.
Bake in oven at about 350 degrees until crust is golden and egg center is firm.
Now sometimes you can find a puff pastry at the store whick is the same but a touch different.

Not this time. So I got to make a pie crust from scratch which I do not believe I have ever done except maybe as a small child with my grandmother. Many of you are laughing especially if you are related to me. I have included pictures to prove it. It was a little chewy but no one was treated for stomach issues after bible study.
So, never say "I can't", "I've always been that way" or "that is not how God made me". Don't lose the battle in your mind because if God is for you, nothing is impossible!! If God calls you to do something, He WILL enable you. I can't say God "called me" to make the quiche but He did use it to convict me of some of my "I can't" thought patterns and show me that it's never to late to break a habitual way of thinking and grow.

No comments: