Friday, April 11, 2008

Pepe Update

I’ve been lax in my blogging due to burning my candle at 3 ends not just two. For those of you who are keeping track of me, you will remember me telling you about Pepe, the little girl who stole my heart in Jan. If you are new to my blog you can look in the Archives for Jan.
Pepe’s health declined radically a few weeks ago. She was down to 13.9 kg (about 30 lbs) and had that malnourished skin and bones look. As sick as she was in Jan. she never had that drawn look she does now. Teresa was notified by the house mother that Pepe was getting sicker.
Tests came back that Pepe has drug resistant TB. She is in isolation in a private clinic that donated a room in its old wing away from the other patient’s. This sounds strange but I’m thankful that Pepe was too sick to be able to be in the government hospital because the conditions are so bad there. Her current accommodations are very simple but adequate.
God has blessed me to be in the right place with the right giftings - comforter. Pepe is attached to the house mother at the orphanage but Make (mah-gay meaning mother) Kate cannot leave the other children to help care for Pepe. I am the one Children’s Cup missionary who is a mother but have no family with me here. Pepe needed a caregiver to help her adjust to the isolation and lack of being able to go home. I moved in a small makeshift room next to hers. I still go to the office during the day but I spend my nights at the clinic with Pepe. “Auntie Sandra won’t go home to sleep until Pepe can go home”. It’s been a blessing. It’s not just because Pepe has won my heart, I would do it for any child alone without a caregiver in this situation. I feel honored to be God’s arms that can hold and rock her during this season of her life. God might choose to call her home if her health continues to decline or she will get stronger and go back to the orphanage with Make Kate and be happy and get to play with other children. I’m at peace with either. I’m thankful that God has enabled me to be here for now to calm her fears and help her be at peace with her circumstances as much as possible. I am the caring advocate that does not get frazzled with vomit or tubes but knows enough to help the nurses keep all her 15 or so medications and supplements straight and help some of the feeding tube feedings. They don’t have a continuous drip system here and her stomach is so small she is to get feedings every 2 hours. I just know I could never have let my boys be alone in a hospital for several weeks and I can’t let this child feel abandoned and alone. Keep Pepe in your prayers! She has a long way to go but she is a fighter!
I share all this to keep you updated. Please do not put me up on any pedestal or think I’m saintly because I’m not sleeping in my bed. It’s not that big a sacrifice and I feel blessed beyond the little inconveniences. I haven’t had to grocery shop or cook my breakfast or dinners and the hospital food is healthier and tastier than what I would have cooked. Everyday I have someone who changes my sheets and makes my bed and even mops my floors. I still run home to shower and get a couple of days worth of clothing and do my laundry. I still have bad days and want to lash out at the nurses or at a co-workers or just cry. And there’s not a better feeling than being able to be the instrument of God to fulfill a need.
“If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land.” Isaiah 1:19
May I continue to be willing and obedient in the little and big opportunities God sets before me. Thank you for your prayers and emails. It’s so good to have family, friends and churches that support me financially and spiritually and has allowed me these awesome opportunities to grow closer to God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Is verse! You are awesome woman!

Tina Cooley said...

I'm happy for Pepe that she has you. Don't take your job lightly. Being a MAMA to her is a life she wouldn't have. Without hope there is nothing. I love you