Friday, July 4, 2008

Clothing distribution

I apologize for my lack of blogging. Days are shorter here now and it gets dark about 5:30 pm. It's just harder to want to be at the office late when it is dark and cold (no central heat) and since that is the only place I have internet (as slow as it is) I have not been blogging as much.

It wasn't so hard when you all were having winter and I had summer but now that it is reversed, I'm bummed. I go to bed earlier though since I have no TV to stay up until the "news". When it's cold and dark it just seems like midnight when it's only 7:10 pm! Eesh! (did I spell that right?) Don't think I'm in bed by 8 every night :-). We do watch movies, or have dinner with friends or read or play games.

Anyway, at the Oasis @ Swaziland CarePoints a couple of weeks ago we were able to get lots of bags of Goodwill clothing and give out 2 pieces to each child. (I know many of you would like to send clothing from home but the postage alone would cost a lot more than the amount per item we paid for these) We were lacking in older children clothes and will try to do one aimed at those ages soon.
Here are the pictures. I only had my camera with me the day I was at Fonteyn but we did distribute at both CarePoints. Many of these children didn't have jackets or sweatshirts or warm clothing. At night it gets down to the low 40's or high 30's so you can imagine in a mud house how cold it can get. Thank all you who support these CarePoints and/or me!! You are making a difference!










2 comments:

Tina Cooley said...

They look so happy to get something we have so much of. I think the little boy looks so precious in his Hello Kitty shirt.
Thank you for sending us your blogs.
It means so much to see their needs being met. I'm sure it was a great day for them and for you. Stay warm
love to you

Sandra said...

The he is really a she with the kitty sweatshirt. Culturally most young girls keep their hair short like boys. It is also easier to care for. We often only know if they are a girl or boy by asking a teacher or if they have a skirt on. :-)