Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Victoria Escapes Massacre

For those of you who haven't been reading my blog long, Victoria is the pet chicken who lives in my yard (Patrick bought but I named her and collect her eggs :)

"Victoria Escapes Massacre" was the gossip at our office after we had "chicken" day at both the Mbabane CarePoints.
We had 20 chickens delivered to both Fonteyn and Mangwaneni Mbabane CarePoints recently to add to the beans and pop menu. We did it on two different days so I could "help out" with both. Now these were not chickens from the store, all prepackaged and ready to cook. These were 20 live chickens! Although I did not volunteer to behead any of them, I did pluck my share of them.

For those folks raised on a farm you already know, but it was new information for me that chickens pluck easily after dipping them in boiling water for 10 seconds. You are supposed to pluck quickly though and I was a little slow at it.
I also did not realize so much of a chicken is edible. Except for the feathers and the stomach, all else is eaten. I not only plucked but squeezed out intestines. What fun!
Our newest housemate, here for 6 weeks, Bethany, a recent high school graduate actually helped with the draining of the headless chickens @ Fonteyn. She said maybe next time she will help pluck and clean. :)
I did try a chicken foot, it is skin and fat, not so healthy but very tasty. The intestines look like worms but taste a lot like the liver. Not my favorite. Note the toes sticking up in the big pot of cooking chicken.
All teasing aside it was a great learning experience for me and relationship building with the cooks! But nothing topped the excitement of the kids to get to have chicken! God is good! You all are awesome!! Only because Oasis of Swaziland supports these two CarePoints were we able to add chicken to the menu for the day!! You are making a difference and impact on a generation of children!Blessings abound and everything was finger licking good!!!
Anyone hungry?

Victoria better keep laying eggs!!!

2 comments:

Tina Cooley said...

Well Sandra you really out did yourself. Interesting experience. I have done all the chicken stuff before too but I never put a foot in my mouth. Brave to try everything. Everyone looks so happy.
You bring happiness to so many.

thanks for sparing Vickie

Jean Ohlerking said...

I understand mapani worms are great fried...especially when served up with a little bit of pap and beans.

I'm sure you are the hero of all the cooks now that you have helped them and actually tasted of their cooking. Altho I'd enjoy the liver flavor, I think I'd have trouble with the intestines...gag.

Thanks for your loving work.