Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pictures of my new home

Sorry for the delay in getting you pictures of my new home. There have been some projects I have been working hard on at the CarePoints and my allergies have been horrible and have left me exhausted in the evenings. But today I am taking time to post some pictures.
I have been challenged in my old age to find that change is hard for me.
Slowly but surely, I am finding a place for things, getting use to the heat, got screens to keep mosquitoes out (thanks to Maryann's dad who is visiting) and starting to get into more of a routine. My place is newer than most in Swaziland and was not used for a long time. It is a small cottage in the backyard of a larger home where fellow missionaries, Danny & Maryann Quirion live with their children, Lindsey, Olivia, Sophie and Jude.
I have 2 rooms, one is a bedroom and one is a study/dryer room. My bedroom contains one of my price possessions; my "sanctuary chair". A cushy, comfortable chair in Swaziland is hard and expensive to find but about 2 years ago I made the plunge to have a special place for my quiet time before I even left my bedroom each day. (Because once I leave my bedroom the distractions come and I lose my focus!) I would not normally have picked green but it worked out well (and was the only color choice available). My washer is not in my second room but out behind my house because there is no water hook up for it inside. But Karen Brennan (another missionary here) made me like a grill cover for it.
I have a spacious living room area and a bright sunny kitchen.
First picture is from my front door while the second is from my back door.
I am blessed to have 2 bathrooms, one with a shower and one with a bath. I am also thankful that I was able to find housing that is secure and safe, one of the most important aspects of a house for a missionary in Swaziland.





So as you can see I am soooo fortunate to not live in a stick and mud home with outdoor plumbing like so many of our children at the CarePoints do. No wonder missionaries are considered so rich by the Swazis. For Americans though, I do live more simply. No A/C, no TV stations, internet and electricity are on a pay as you go and there are no Taco Bells, McDonald's or Subway's to drive through in the area.
The view from my kitchen window is of one mountain and the view from my front door is the Quirions backyard and another beautiful mountain. Isn't Swaziland gorgeous??? I am so thankful on how God has sorted more affordable housing for me. I have a little longer commute and gas has risen to what equals about $5.15 a gallon but I am sure God's hand will continue to work out the finances there too.
If you would like to help me in my monthly support please go to childrenscup.org
under "Get Involved" and then "Online Donation" and then "Sandra Chesterman".
The Oasis church supports me primarily but has given permission for me to raise additionally to try to compensate for the increase cost of living that has occurred during the 3+ years I have been here. Thank you for all your prayers and love and comments!!!! You do not know how much it means to me!!!!
Continue to be blessed so you can be a blessing!!!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15

3 comments:

Beth Anne said...

It looks great, Sandra! God's got His hand on you for sure, watching out for His daughter :) It is awesome how when we step out, He makes sure we aren't disappointed! Love ya!

~kristi said...

Oh, Sandra is beautiful. I think that area you live is one of the most beautiful places I have been. Your bathroom is nicer than mine! Your view is way nicer than mine:) I think of you often and I am so happy you are taking care of His kiddos. Such a great Make.

Chelsea said...

Is that your trampoline!?! Maybe I should come for a visit... :)