Monday, January 7, 2008

My Dad got a Kidney transplant

I emailed a lot of you on Sunday that my dad had gotten a call Saturday night to come to the hospital for a possible kidney. He has been on the transplant list for over a year (but I did not know that until a few weeks before I came to Swaziland). I knew he was on PD dialysis at home for low kidney function but was unaware that they had totally stopped working after his surgery last year.

I got an email this morning in Swaziland (last night in the states) that he did recieve the kidney and it is in "A-1" condition and a good match. Even though he thought with his age he would only get a kidney from someone deceased, this one was from a live donor or so we think. My mom thinks it was someone who signed up to give a kidney to a relative but was not a match for their relative but when their relative got a kidney, they still donated but to a perfect stranger. Not sure though.


This is my plug though that if you have never signed the back of your drivers license to donate your organs, you should do it today! I thank the unknown person that gave up one of their kidneys for a total stranger and has to recover from major surgery from their act of kindness. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!


Be in prayer for my dad as he recovers. Because he is on inmune surpressants they want him out of the hospital as soon as possible so he doesn't pick up any staff infections or other germs at the hospital. The best they hope for is a 4 day stay. They have filled him with IVs and the kidney seems to be doing it's job. It would seem strange to be so excited that you have to go pee! It is probable that dad will not have to have any more dialysis!!! Hooray!!!


Thank you God for this surprise blessing out of the blue!!!! You are awesome!!!
Me and my dad, Howard Sparks, just before I left for Swaziland November 2007!

2 comments:

ashpuck said...

I am so thankful that prayers were answered. God is awesome!

Unknown said...

So thrilled for your dad's new kidney. It's great to read and hear about all the awesome (and slightly scary) adventures you are having. You have come a long way since the first night I met you at Maire and Roland's in our small group. WOW! God is good-all the time!! Miss you!