Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Will I be healed from this?"

This story is about one of our cooks at Mangwaneni, Mbabane. Jacci is our missionary who does the discipleship bible studies with the cooks. Celiwe (roof of mouth click -ee-lee-way) has a sweet spirit and a caring heart. I've enjoyed getting her know her through the months. Please keep her in your prayers.

A story from Jacci Zuniga, Children’s Cup Missionary, Swaziland:
I’m so incredibly challenged by how our cooks faithfully show up at the CarePoints to cook & feed the children every single day. Let me tell you, it’s incredibly hard work to prepare food for 200+ kids over an open fire in huge kettles …then serving the food and having to clean up day in and day out! And as you know, they don’t get paid for their work - they are community volunteers! I’m not nearly as close to sainthood as they are.
Celiwe walked up to the CarePoint where she volunteers, each step extremely slow and painful.
She had walked a long way to come for our cooks’ devotion time that day. When I was asked her about the pain and how we could help, she told me the doctor said she had cancer (probably cervical). Unfortunately, chemotherapy & radiation have not yet reached Swaziland. One must go regularly to South Africa for that.
She looked at me and asked, “Will I be healed from this?”In that moment my heart dropped to my stomach or came up to my throat, I’m not sure which–maybe both, if that’s possible.
Here’s the thing - there are questions so huge here, so many things that have no easy answers or quick solutions (HIV/AIDS for example) that I must absolutely depend on, trust in, cling to, run to the ONE who has the words of life, who gives hope and comfort and healing that reaches deep into the soul.
And this is what makes everyday seem extraordinary, because my faith is stretched and grows each time I trust in Him, believing Him to lead me and guide me and use me as His vessel to demonstrate His love & compassion in word, action and in wisdom–HIS wisdom.
Would you pray with me for Celiwe and ask God to radically care for her in her illness?
Lord God, would you heal her?

1 comment:

scott c. said...

Hi Sandra,
I will definetly lift her in prayer and trust God for His direction and healing. I know you are a blessing to the Swaziland people and I will continue to lift you in prayer as well.
See you in October!!!