Monday, December 31, 2007

Climb Every Mountain!!

I want to regress now to the Saturday before Christmas. I have been busy over the "holiday" but this day was a true test of my unfittness. (Rajni & I @ the start)Daran Rehmeyer, our fearless leader in Swaziland, wanted to go hiking for his birthday! Not a "hike around the block" mind you but a hike up to the top of Execution Rock, a place where many a wedding proposal takes place. Can't be too hard! Ha!!
The start was beautiful. There were the Rehmeyers (Daran & Teresa, Gabby, Danielle, Nathaniel and Joelle), Jacci (does discipleship with the cooks), Christy (oversees CarePoint education), Rajni (visiting doctor from Phoenix) and me. Please note here that even though Daran was the birthday boy and is old, I was still the oldest one attempting this daring adventure. It is in Mlilwane, a wildlife preserve and we walked by impalas, warthogs & zebras. It was warm and the incline started right away. I could see the rock they were talking about. They expected me to make it up to there? Christy and Rajni stayed back with Teresa and I for awhile. Christy said she had read to just take "little" steps when going up inclines. Christy exercises fairly regularly and was still breathing hard. I on the other hand was hardly able to breathe. I don't want you to worry, I was with a doctor (Rajni) and a nurse (Teresa). At one point on the way up (only about a third of the way up) I was huffing and puffing and Teresa was behind me when she slipped. Now I heard her say she was okay but you know the feeling when you turn right when something happens and you know in your head it's okay but your heart jumps anyway? That is what happened. On top of my breathing so hard I could hardly speak my heart jumped. Teresa was fine but I had to then sit down because my heart was beating so fast I thought I would pass out. Instead of me helping Teresa she was taking my pulse. Are we having fun yet? Shortly after this, Christy and Rajni left us behind. I kept putting one foot in front of the other and then stopping for breaths. Teresa encouraged me to go a little farther. She had done this hike many a time and was sure Daran was enjoying not having to wait for her and getting to go ahead. I also found that of the many times they had done this, she had only gotten to the top a few of those times. We found a mint plant growing out of the side of the rock on our way up (good excuse to rest and take a breath). I stopped and took photos of many a flower (you need to enjoy God's creation -- gasp!! gasp!!). This is the most I have ever in my many years, (and I've lived many) that I have felt my heart pound so hard and my lungs work so hard! I was past the point of getting to know Teresa because I could now only talk in my head. I had no extra air for outloud communication! In my head I kept reciting Philippians 4:13 (look it up) and in everything give thanks. I was trying. I decided there that Satan did not work through a snake but was alive and well in all the flies buzzing around my ears. I felt like they were taunting me to give up. I almost did about a dozen times but then after about 2 1/2 hours I made it!!! Where was the ribbon to break through, the waterfall to cool off in or the spa to get a massage? Okay the view was great. See that patch of water down the mountain? That is where we started and that is where we had to go back to -- what had I done? No helicopter to pick us up now that I have accomplished such a feat? Enjoy the pictures! (Okay the pictures will have to be uploaded next year; the internet is not cooperating!) I'm glad I did it and it's like having a baby, it was great but I don't plan to do it again any time soon.
This last photo I have here is starting down, Daran, Teresa and Christy. If I get Jacci's photos I will share a photo of me when I arrived at the top and the disshevled photo of me at the very bottoms! Don't you wish you were here?

3 comments:

Tina Cooley said...

I am such a visual person and I can just see you now with your bright, red cheeks sweating and huffing and puffing so determined to get up that mountain. I am proud of you not to give up I probably would have. You go Girl! Maybe you should do yourself a little favor next time and investigate about going to anymore weird parties there. Are you sore? Love to you

Jean Ohlerking said...

Go Sandra! You did it!

I've only ever enjoyed execution rock from below.

You rule!

ashpuck said...

I remember seeing that rock from Guava Cafe and I can not imagine going to the top! You are awesome.