Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Swazi funeral

Sunday morning @ 5:30 AM (yes in the morning), Christy (Education director of the CarePoints), Nomty (a co-worker and our cultural guide for the day) and I went to a funeral. The sister of Gugu Precious, a teacher at Mangwaneni, Mbabane Carepoint had died. Precious was the teacher that was such a help and friend to the cook whose child had died. This makes the 3rd death since I have been here (a cook at Murray Camp Carepoint died just before Christmas).

The funeral started early and was a touch difficult to find. Not because it was dark, the sun rises @ about 4:30 am but because it was way out in the country and there are no street signs or maps. We parked the truck (Christy's vehicle) and walked in our sandals and skirts through high damp grass up the hillside where the family plots were. We turned every head at the funeral as the color of our skin reflected in the sun (needless to say we were the only white folks there). We had worn skirts but found we should have brought a covering for our head also. They were forgiving of our lack of knowledge. We watched the ceremony with respect as they spoke and sung in Siswati. The sky was blue, the hills were green and a African choir sang as they lowered the body into the grave. It actually was beautiful. They filled in the grave and stomped the soil to pack it ever so often and then mounded it with stones and dirt. I wondered about the two young men who had the task of packing that soil with their feet. Were they family members? Did the fact they were stomping over a dead body haunt them or is it just a fact of life here. When we have graveside funerals in the states, they always put the body in the ground after everyone has left so I never have thought about those kinds of things. She was only 26 and was buried next to one of her 4 children who had died earlier this year. There were many other graves on the hillside. The contrast of so many painful, withering away to nothing kind of deaths and the beauty of the land consumed my thoughts. There were no tears shed. Swazi's are strong, but you could see the pain in the eyes of Precious and other family members. Why does it have to be this way?

We went briefly to the homestead and witnessed the 3 other children putting their meager belongings into the back of a pickup truck (it all wrapped within one blanket each). We were told they were being taken to live with their father. It was not known if he had agreed or if he even knew they were coming. He was not even the father of one of them (his father was unknown). It was so sad. I pray for their safety and protection.

I'm reading Francine Rivers' book "Redeeming Love". It is a fiction story that follows the lines of Hosea and Gomer. What has had significant impact to me is the harsh childhood that plunged the character into prostitution and a lack of hope. Is that so different here? These children are often raped at young ages and thrown into situations so bleak how can they dream of a bright future. How can they see that God made them and that they are of value and worth? I'm old enough to realize I can't change it all. Many more will still die. Precious' sister did know Christ and is without pain and saddness in heaven, but how many aren't? How many get swallowed up in Satan's lies that they are nothing, worthless and there is no way out? I'm ending this year being introspective. I will not wallow in what I can't do but take steps with God's direction of what I can do. I could show respect and love by attending the funeral. I can smile and hug children and tell them they are special. I can make sure I'm not an easy mark for money (I get asked often as the new white kid on the block) because money or things won't solve the problems. I can be a person of my word, willing to get in there and work and live out my faith. I can be trusted and care about them with pure motives. I can show I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone.

In church later that morning the pastor challenged us to remember our past deliverences. God has always been there for me, through hardships & heartache & divorce. God is good! I don't understand why many things happen, but that's okay. God will get me through each day and help me see the blue skys and green hills and bright sunshine even during funerals, pain and storms. End your 2007 by thanking God for your numerous blessings, for your past deliverences and with a desire to know Him even more intimately!!!

No comments: