Monday, December 24, 2007

Come Let Us Adore Him!!

What a privelege! I got to go Friday night to the best Christmas pageant ever!! The pictures in this blog is from a little church, Christian Family Church in Mapheveni. The pastor there, LaSelette Duarte, is a sweet grandmother type who is connected with our CarePoint there. Most of the families there work in the sugar cane fields and the water they drink is from the river and quite unhealthy. The children are probably the most in need of any of our CarePoints. This said, the celebration that I attended was beyond any I have ever seen! LaSelette made all the costumes you see in the photos, I do not know where she got all the fabic but every child and young adult was in full costume!!! They had taped music that they sang to and which Bongi, the children's leader (in the blue angel costume) choreographed the parts. Mary had touching choreography to the song "Breath of Heaven" as well as Bongi and the angels to "Mary, Did You Know". They had a magnificent narrator (who I apologize I did not get a photo of) who told the story from creation, the prophesies, Zachariah and Elizabeth and on through the birth. (Again, I apologize that I do not have photos of the earlier sections, I was suffering from a migraine and did not start taking pictures until about 1/2 way through but enjoyed it just the same.) They had the young adults with modern day dialogue in both English and Siswati mixture that was extremely poigniant (like when Mary contemplated what people would say about "another unwed mother") and included Zachariah (until he was struck mute by the angel), Elizabeth and Mary, Joseph and Mary, the innkeeper and his wife, King Herod's obsession, the shepherds and the wise men. Intermixed were some traditional Swazi dancing and some festive dancing. The wise men were some comical in their lines and looking for the star. The finale was full of pagentry and waving banners and color. The joy and excitement of the season was portrayed through every person on stage. They were enjoying it as much as us in the audience. It was magnificednt!!! I wish you could have been there with us! It definately blessed my Christmas!! I hope the pictures bless you and that you enjoy your family and friends and your numerous blessings even if you, like me are away from them. P.S. Please note the adorable cows in the manger scene :)

2 comments:

Jean Ohlerking said...

The cows...how precious!

I love Christmas. I love your report...

You ARE making a difference in those lives.

Thanks for being there.

Tina Cooley said...

It looks like they are having a great celebration unlike what we are used to seeing. I think we should take it more seriously. Their faces were full of belief and meaning of the great celebration of our Jesus. A Christmas not to forget. Bless you